Home news Smoking in bed 'causes serious fire' at Maulden home

Smoking in bed 'causes serious fire' at Maulden home


A “serious” house fire was caused by someone smoking in bed, the fire service said.Crews were called to Becketts Close, Maulden, Bedfordshire, at 05:37 GMT after the blaze broke out in the bedroom.Bedfordshire Fire & Rescue Service said the heat and smoke were “extreme”.Crew Commander Ross Mann said: “Please take care when smoking and always ensure you put out your cigarettes completely and in a safe receptacle.”

He said: “The heat was so extreme that it caused serious damage to the adjoining bathroom even though the fire did not enter the room. The hallway was also seriously damaged.”Firefighters remained at the house to cut away damaged property and damp down. The woman who lived there was assisted by her relatives, the fire service said.

Source: BBC Beds